Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New furling jib

Elly
Hello Brian, thank you for your reply. I will contact them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Elly
In reply to this post by brian johnson
Yes, thank you Brian
Reply | Threaded
|

hardbob
In reply to this post by Elly
Hi Elly
Sorry about the late reply. I bought most parts of a "Nemo Wonderfurl TR model" cheap in used condition, and later secured additional parts in new condition directly from the Nemo supplier in Italy. I have not yet installed this furling gear and I am looking to get some professional help with this (attaching a new 4 mm forestay and servicing the drop-keel). I was thinking about using a local sailesmaker to make me a genoa, but I will also contact Jeckels and see what the price is. Possibly I will also get a new mainsail.

Happy sailing :-)
Reply | Threaded
|

hardbob
In reply to this post by brian johnson
Hi Brian

Do you have a picture showing where you have attached additional eyes on the cabin roof for various degree of furling?

Best regards, Thomas (Hardbob)
Reply | Threaded
|

brian johnson
Hi Thomas

I don't have a picture of the two eyes as the boat is in storage under a heavy cover until June.  One of the eyes is in the standard position with the other about 2' further aft.  I think the aft eye was originally intended for the genoa rather than used for furling purposes.  AFAIK Seahawks were originally supplied with hank on sails,  but later boats might have had an optional furler from new.  Mine has had the sails replaced at least twice since the 70s.

Regards Brian
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Both,

The 1991 Price List confirms that reefing gear was not standard on SeaHawks till the 1992 season.

The standard position for the fair leads on the cabin roof can be seen on the Rigging Page. While Moores changed the angle of the aft fitting the location was the same as on Reedcraft boats. Moore's point at the winch that they fitted as standard rather than the cabin face jamb cleats of Reedcraft boats, .

Only the few boats built by Pyecraft had a different arrangement, with a single fairlead on the cabin roof and jamb cleat mounted on the ridge at the back of the cabin - but their boats were supplied with a large jib, rather than a genoa. It didn't reach past the shrouds and the sheets were designed to be taken inside them.

I had no furling gear and would take the sheets on the Genoa outside the shrouds to the aft fairlead. While the jib sheets needed to pass through both fairleads and so are inside the shrouds. It was always clear to me that those with furling gear had to take a decision when hoisting sails whether you were going to keep the sail in jib or Genoa mode as can't switch between them without re-rigging.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography