Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

pipes on transom

harry
just below the cockpit drains there are two metal pipes,what are they for,as they are below the water line I am sure they allowed water in so I have blocked them up,please enlighten me regards harry
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: pipes on transom

Perry
This post was updated on .
Harry

Send pictures and we can tell you if we have something similar

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
In reply to this post by harry
Hi Harry,

Like Perry, I would want to see some decent current pictures.

The best I can produce of Lulubelle's stern is this highly processed image, which may not show her in her current state, but does appear more recent than the ones I posted about your New Boat as the water line painting here comes higher than the other picture:

Lulubelle Transom
It's hard to tell but I can only see an extension pipe on the standard cockpit drain which passes directly through the transom from the bottom corners of the cockpit. why such an extension should have been fitted is a mystery to me.

For comparison, here's my SeaHawk on her mooring a few years ago, where it can be seen from the reflection that when no one is aboard the entire transom sits well clear of the water and even if waves did cause the cockpit to start to fill any water would immediately drain away again as the cockpit sole slopes down to the transom:

Imagination Transom
When upright and under way, the base of the transom still only just kisses the water leaving the cokcpit drains clear of the water:

Imagination Transom
However, when pushed hard a drain hole can go below water level. As a Broads sailor, I always sail with bungs in the drains, or I risk wet feet!

Eos Transom
However, it is IMPERATIVE to remove the bungs when leaving the boat unattended or, with enough rain, you risk filling the entire cockpit which will then overflow the cabin threshold and find its way into the bilges - and ultimately sink her.
Greg Chapman
GregAfloat - My Boating Biography
Reply | Threaded
|

cockpit drains

harry
when I took my boat out of the water yesterday,a lot of water came out of the drains,but there was no water in the cockpit,are the drains linked to the bilges in any way,also if I take out the aft lockers in the cockpit will that give me access to the inside transom,regards harry
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: cockpit drains

brian johnson
Hi Harry
Seahawks have only one pair of cockpit drains, in the transom just above the cockpit sole.  As you tilt the boat on a slipway, water rushes in unless the drains are blocked. I use a couple whisky corks to stop mine when launching the boat. As soon as she is floating level  the corks can be removed. Even with two people in the cockpit, no water comes in through the drains as they are way above the water line.  If water is coming into your cockpit either your drains have been strangely modified, or the boat is floating much too low in the water.  Pictures would be helpful.  

The bilges are always dry on my boat and the drains are not connected to them in any way.  The small bilge around the keel bolt take in a tiny amount of water probably through small cracks inside the keel box.

You can indeed access the inner transom by removing the cockpit lockers.  Many Seahawks leak rainwater through the locker joints, so it's well worth removing the lockers and resealing the joints. I used sikaflex and large stainless screws to reseal my lockers 6 years ago and the bilges have been dry ever since.  Whille the lockers are out it's well worth resealing all your aft fittings like cleats, rails. outboard mount etc.  
Hope this helps
Brian
Reply | Threaded
|

Perry
Harry

It's possible to get the the transom, or at least see it, by climbing head first down the foot well inside the boat. The foot board doesn't actually go all the way up so you can peak over the top.

When I wanted to check things out, I stuck a camera over there and took lots of photos

As for transom pipes, you should be able to see them in the cockpit. If the go below into the bilges then someone has done something very silly as that will risk your boat sinking!

If you are struggling with photos into the forum, then use Dropbox or something like that, share the folder and point is to it. Or just email them to me and I will put them up on the thread. Email [Address Given]

Sent from my iPhone

EDIT: Oops! In editing this post to remove the unnecessary quoted text, I failed to realise this would remove the address cloaking normally provided on email replies to posts on the forum. However, it is also possible to initiate private email conversations, by clicking on a poster's avatar or username.
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
In reply to this post by brian johnson
Hi Brian,

I've moved Harry's post and your reply to Harry's earlier, related, topic as it contains the best image I have of his boat's transom.

I agree that things will behave as you describe on a slipway, unless modified in some strange way, but the evidence we have so far is that the drain outlets have only been extended by a couple of inches, though that alone is a little strange.

I'd also agree that leaking cockpit lockers are the normal reason for bilges filling and the site's Curing Leaks page describes this, though fails to mention your excellent idea about checking the sealing of other fittings at the same time. However on his boat Harry has reported fountains of water coming from damaged bilge fins.

At this stage I think we need a photo of the cockpit side of the transom to establish what changes, if any, have been made to the standard cockpit drains. Failing that I will take photos of my boat for Harry to compare.
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

brian johnson
Thanks Greg
From your enlarged image of Lulubelle's stern, it looks to me that the drains are slightly lower than the rudder pintle i.e. lower than normal, so maybe they have been modified in some way.

Harry - when you repair the bilge keels, first thoroughly clean the inside surfaces with a few washes of acetone, roughen the surface with 60 grit paper, then glass the inside first. At least four layers of matting thoroughly wetted out with resin. When that has cured, clean the outside with acetone, lightly grinding out any cracks and dents, then fill the dents, holes etc with epoxy resin thickened with silica powder.  I use the West system small repair kit for jobs like this.   Then fair it all off with 80 grit paper, then apply a layer of gelcoat - you can buy it in small quantities in a tube (Plastic Padding is one brand).  I used this system on a damaged boat and it's been fine for over ten years.  

Can you take a pic or two of the inside of the cockpit showing the drains?  
Brian
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Brian,
brian johnson wrote
From your enlarged image of Lulubelle's stern, it looks to me that the drains are slightly lower than the rudder pintle i.e. lower than normal, so maybe they have been modified in some way.
I'm not convinced the pipe is set lower than a conventional SeaHawk cockpit drain. I've looked again at earlier post I made that showed her before the latest repaint:

Lulubelle Transom
It suggests that the pintle and drain are at the same standard height. I think the later picture, posted in this topic simply reflects a water line painted at a higher level - but only confirmation from Harry will settle that.
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

pipes on transom

harry
what are they for dont see them on other boats,also water from anchor goes into bilges,how do you get rid of that,the anchor storage should be sealed an a hole drilled in the bow to drain away
Reply | Threaded
|

GregSeaHawk
Administrator
Hi Harry,

Now I see! The narrow pipe was invisible on the earlier photos.

You are right. The small bore pipe is non-standard and I have no idea of its intended function. Is there a matching pipe to port?

I can only suggest you follow Perry's advice and try and get some photos of the area beneath the cockpit sole and above the hull and report further on what you find.

My (complete) guess would be that someone decided the boat needed a permanent bilge pump fitted. However, there should be no reason for needing that. A SeaHawk should be bone dry in the bilges, unless you accidentally spill something, the hull is damaged or fittings are not sealed properly.

The only time I see any water in my bilges is after sleeping aboard on cold nights, when any condensation caused by my body heat (or the rice I'd been boiling for last night's curry or mugs of tea) trickle down into the bilges - but a single wipe around with a dry cloth is sufficient to cope with that.
Greg Chapman
Reply | Threaded
|

transom pipes solved

harry
the pipes are some owners idea of another drain,looks like brake pipe ,drilled into the corner of cockpit and out into transom,cant see the point as cockpit drains are big enough,i thank everyone for their reply's regards harry  safe sailing